The Need for Positivity

14:52

 
During my time writing on this blog, I have prided myself on sharing my story honestly - giving you all of the details, including the good, the bad and the ugly. In fact, only the other week, I chose to share the birth story of baby Bean which was, in short, not pleasant at all and would not be something that I would want to read if I was expecting a child myself (this has now been removed from the blog as a result of some serious second thoughts on my part).

Since the arrival of Bean, it has caught me by surprise how hard I have found it to come to terms with the renewed loss of my time, the upheaval to life and the sleep deprivation that is in full swing again. Don't get me wrong, we adore Bean and are slowly getting to grips with handling two children instead of one (including one incredibly colic-y baby) but these past few weeks have definitely required a positive outlook and lots of self care to keep ourselves sane and the children happy.

During this time, I have noticed that my blog posts - although honest - have had a tendency to air on the negative side, sharing the less pleasant things about being a parent of a newborn and bringing a negative vibe to the blog. 

In a similar way, when I was pregnant with Bean and found myself worrying about how we were going to cope with two children, I scouted around for blog posts which would show me the experiences and opinions of other parents of multiple children. A lot of these were brutally honest, sharing the bad things as well as the good, which actually ended up with me worrying more and more, the more I read.

As I have mentioned previously in the blog, I suffer with nerves, and one of the things I have come to realise over the past week or two is that, in order for me to do the best job I can possibly do as a parent, I need to think positively and remain confident in myself and my decisions. Therefore, in order to do that, I cannot bog myself down with stories about the difficulties of being a parent and I definitely should not be sharing similar stories on my own blog.

Instead, I am choosing to make 2017 a year of positivity, in which I acknowledge the difficulties that a parent can face without allowing myself to become consumed by them - either by finding ways to solve the issue or motivating myself (and others) to get through them. I greatly admire all of those parents who choose to share those difficult times with their readers and give an accurate representation of life with children, but for me that can prove just a bit too much.

You are very welcome to join me in my journey through positivity over the following year - if you know any techniques for keeping yourself feeling positive or if you have any favourite motivational and inspiring quotes about parenting or life in general, please feel free to send them over to me!

I am thoroughly looking forward to promoting positive thinking in myself and others over the next year - I am hoping it will really enhance my life and help to keep us going as a (now slightly bigger) family as the chaos of having a young baby continues. If I can help others feel more positive and see the brighter side of life along the way, then that's even better.

I have shared this post on the following lovely linkies:
Blogger Club UK on the Mudpie Fridays blog.
PoCoLo on the Morgan's Mileu blog.
FortheloveofBLOG on the A Mum Track Mind blog.

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. positivity all the way. I feel blogging and the instagram community has contributed so much to me having a more positive outlook on life - such a different way of looking at things to the pre-blogging me for sure! Happy New Year! #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to you on a positive attitude, it can be so hard at times with a young family but there are always joyous moments to focus on too. Happy New Year #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there defnitely are! Especially with a 22 month old who is coming out with more and more "toddlerisms" each day! You can't help but smile! xx

      Delete
  3. Ah this is a lovely idea, I think positive thinking is so important. My blog isn't ever too negative although I try to be honest about things too. I know exactly what you mean about reading negative things, I find that brings me down too - I was genuinely shocked at how well breastfeeding went for me because I had read countless blogs about how difficult it is. It's good to have balance and you have to focus on what's right for you - which is positivity! #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its definitely good to have a balance - glad to hear I am not the only one that it affects (if you can be glad about such a thing)!

      Delete
  4. Great attitude to have.. Sometimes it can be really difficult to be positive but we all need to remember that a positive attitude helps in the long run #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be difficult! I find myself slipping away from it oh too often.. let's hope we can keep it going in 2017!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the new baby! There are so many things to learn when babies arrive, whether its the first or the fifth. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There really are - you think you know a bit more because you've done it before and they prove you wrong!

      Delete
  6. Love your positivity, long may it last!! #fortheloveofblog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Positivity is very much a choice so good for you on deciding to think that way. The key for me is when I have a bad day, I just acknowledge that its a bad day and tell myself tomorrow will be better. Thanks for sharing on #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  8. i add a one daily positive to every picture i post in project 365 when i've had a particularly hard day, sometimes i struggle towards the end of the day to find one, but i always manage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you all the best for a positive 2017, it'll be great to hear how you get on and what works for you. Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete